Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Salt Springs


This past Saturday, we had a family reunion, for the first time in YEARS. They used to happen pretty regularly, but it's been awhile. It was held in a tiny little town, about 30 miles outside of Ocala, called Salt Springs. It's a few miles from the Marion/Putnam county line and is in the Ocala National Forest. I grew up going swimming at the springs, and we lived here when I was a teenager. We used to spend EVERY day of the summer at the springs. This is pretty much your view the whole 30 miles from Ocala, with the exception of one small town in between called Scrambletown.



It was just Layla, Morgan & I, Blake had a football game. (BTW, go Cowboys! 3-0!). My kids have never been in a lake! This is Lake Kerr.





















They loved it! Layla told me she wants to go back one day for a vacation. I'd like that, too. There are a lot of springs in this area, so there is a lot to do outside. There is Salt Springs, Juniper Springs, Silver Glen Springs & more.



Before we left, I thought I'd drive down to Salt Springs run & let Layla take a peek at the springs. They were closed last time we were up there. It's hard to see, but the swimming area is off to the left.



This is looking straight across the boat ramp.



And this is the run, heading off to Lake George (HUGE lake).



Layla was a little freaked out being on this dock, since it only has a railing on one side.



I don't think I really appreciated this place when I lived there as a kid. It was a long way from my friends (an hour & 10 minute ride on the school bus!) and Ocala. But now I can see it for more than the middle of nowhere. I don't regret moving to Lakeland, but I do wish it were closer. I would love for my kids to be able to play in the same springs & lakes that I enjoyed as a kid, and to learn to love nature & the water like I do. It's about 2 hours away, so it's not too far, but it's still a drive. Anyway, have a good one!

2 comments:

Kim's Treasures said...

The lake is beautiful! Glad your kids liked it as much as you!

Missy said...

Hey Wendy!

It's Missy over at So You Think You're Crafty. I couldn't find an email, so I thought I'd try to let you know this way. I have some good news involving you and a giveaway for photo jewelry. Email me and I'll get you the details.

Best,
Missy (soyouthinkyourecrafty@gmail.com)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...