Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Another random mix of topics

First things first, I received my prize from Heidi (http://frauleinh.blogspot.com/)! Thank you again! Did I mention blue is my favorite color? Not pictured: the yummy candy stick that Blake swiped.

On to the growth... things are popping up like crazy around here. It's hard to believe that it's still pretty cold in some parts of the country. It's been in the 90's down here. My Zinnia's are getting ready to bloom.



My Dahlia is coming along nicely too. This was taken yesterday...




And this today...



I have seen Morning Glories blooming out back by the "barn" but someone keeps spraying them with Round-Up. But I went out there yesterday morning and found 3 small plants. The pictures came out horrible, but here is one of them.



And for the veggies... Please ignore the overgrowth of grass! I'm almost embarrassed to post! Bad gardeners, bad! I have been working on weeding, but wow it takes forever. The corn itself looks good though!


The onions are also getting big.



Here is one of the tomato plants. I don't know what kind these are, but they look very different from our other tomato plant.



These are doing nicely...



I think all of the bell pepper bushes have baby peppers on them by now.



The green beans are ripening very fast!



Nothing much from the cucumbers yet, but it shouldnt be too much longer. They are flowering already.


White beans... Going just as fast as the green beans.



And we can't forget about the fruit... This is the grapfruit tree.



Baby tangerines...


I have seen these growing out back, and I can't help but wonder if they are muscadine grapes. Guess I will just have to wait and see.



The blackberries...


Those purple flowers I posted about awhile back? I googled them, not thinking I would be able to find them, but it turns out they are Purple Passion Flowers, also called Maypops. They bear an edible fruit, also called a Maypop. I'm not sure if I am brave enough to actually eat one, but the vines out back have fruit on them.





About those green beans & white beans... Someone enjoys picking them!



From that.... to this:

And this:



Of course, once you do that, you have to do this:




And next comes the canning. I went and bought a pressure cooker tonight. We'll see how that goes. Does anyone know anything about canning? I remember my mother and grandmother doing it, but never bothered learning while they were alive.
*
My other adventure is Berry Cobbler. This is part fresh blackberries and some fresh blueberries thrown in since I didnt have quite enough blackberries. I'm not sure how this is going to turn out. Again, we shall see.

My last random topic for the night... If you want to enter some very cool blog contest, check out Sarah's blog (http://mamanjackjack.blogspot.com/). Update, drawings are closed. :)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...